On this page
Who you will support
You will work with veterans, who serve or have served at least one day in the Australian Defence Force (ADF), and their dependants such as war widows and widowers.
Veterans may be of any age or gender. Their care needs will vary and could include support for physical and mental health conditions related to their service.
What makes veteran support different?
Serving in the ADF is a unique experience for every veteran, and can have life-long impacts to health and wellbeing. It is important to understand that veterans may face different challenges based on their service and/or their experience transitioning to civilian life. Your support will be a valued reminder of the gratitude Australia owes our veterans and their families for their service and sacrifice.
Veterans may have other health or mental health professionals involved in their care. You may need to work alongside them.
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs delivers a range of programs and services to support eligible veterans and their families.
More information on the veteran experience
What support you will provide
Veterans care will usually involve practical assistance to help the person live independently. As a support worker, you will typically perform tasks for the person they are unable to do on their own, to allow them to continue living in their own home. Sometimes, you may need to provide care or support in other settings such as residential aged care.
The care you provide might include, but is not limited to:
- domestic assistance such as house cleaning, shopping, laundry, bill paying or meal preparation
- personal care such as help showering, toileting, dressing, grooming, eating or moving around the house
- safety-related home and garden maintenance such as replacing light bulbs, cleaning gutters, cleaning windows, mowing, weeding or pruning (not including tasks requiring a qualified tradesperson)
- support for travel to attend appointments
- respite care – short-term care for a person to give their carer a break.
This page includes information about working with veterans as a support worker. For information about other jobs that could involve working with veterans, including allied health, nursing, rehabilitation and other specialised roles, see Types of jobs.